Puppy Food

Discussion in 'Puppy Feeding' started by Irishgirl07, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Irishgirl07

Irishgirl07 Member

I was wondering if anybody had some suggestions on good puppy/dog food..We are using beneful healthy growth for puppies and I was just wondering if this is a good brand or if I should get a better one.

2. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

I highly suggest a better brand, and my vet recommended a large puppy breed of puppy food for Duncan. Here is a website that does dog food analysis, rating them from 1-5 stars; in fact, I hate to tell you.....Beneful for puppy growth is only 1 star. Check the website out, it'll help you decide what to feed you precious fur kid

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

If affording a better rating is a problem, even going up one or two stars is better than one star. I understand some people can't afford the higher price dog food, just buy the best you can.

3. Irishgirl07

Irishgirl07 Member

Great Website! Thanks so much I am definitely ordering some much better food for my fur babies!

4. Westwood

Westwood Senior Member

I would go with a large breed puppy formula or an all life stages food.

5. Irishgirl07

Irishgirl07 Member

Okay, I found orijens large breed puppy food that I am thinking about getting it. I don't mind the price really because their health is so much more important than anything else and if I have to pay an extra $20 for their food for them to live longer and healthier then that is fine by me! :)

6. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

Good thinking. Like Westwood said, get the Large Breed puppy food. It's better for young corgis. My vet had me put Duncan on it when he was little. They grow so fast, and regular puppy food has more protein then they need. At least, that is how I understood the doctor when he explained it to me. The Large Breed is better for their growth plates.

7. Corgis4me

Corgis4me Senior Member

Keep in mind that the Orijen Large breed Puppy food has about 38% protein in it, as well as the Adult dog food. Their puppy food has 40% protein. Here is the link. Im not sure how long you would want him on that high level of protein or what their activity level is.

Puppy Large

and its been discussed on here before about how much protein % you may want to be feeding. I found the thread on that if you want to read it.

http://www.gocorgi.com/forums/diet-nutrition/3378-me-kcal-kg-protein.html

8. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

Good going, Corgis4me. I sure hope we haven't started the dreaded "food war" on here. LOL!

9. Corgis4me

Corgis4me Senior Member

Well, there was another long "food war" thread, but I decided not to post the link:grin:

10. Westwood

Westwood Senior Member

Whatever you decide on I would just buy a small bag to make sure it agrees with your puppy, and make the transition over a couple of days. The really high protein foods can be too rich for some dogs, and some dogs just don't do well on certain kibbles.

I think you'll find everyone has their own opinion as far as what type of food is better. :grin: Personally I wouldn't feed a food with that high of a protein level unless I was actively working my dogs every day in agility or herding, etc.

Edit: I use Fromms Four Star Nutritionals (the chicken variety) and have been very happy with it.

11. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

If after you start your puppy on the new food, and she gets the runs.....get out the pure pumpkin puree. We consider that the cure all for tummy troubles.

12. Corgis4me

Corgis4me Senior Member

I am a Fromms user also and have been happy with the results. My cody has been on it for about 4 years now.

13. Irishgirl07

Irishgirl07 Member

Wow; haha I finally got through the thread you sent me Corgis4me! It was helpful but also kind of confused me about protein I am not sure really what % to look for. But I will definitely be looking into Fromms since it was suggested and you all seem happy with it.
    It's funny when I read the review about beneful it mentioned there was an ingredient that caused cancer and before our lab Maggie passed away she ate purina which owns beneful and she kept getting cancer often...Where do you purchase your food at or do you order it online?

14. Westwood

Westwood Senior Member

I purchase mine locally, I think the Fromm's website has a store finder on it. It's not a very common brand in my area, but then again there isn't much for specialty pet stores around here.

I try to avoid buying dog food online as the shipping costs are huge usually. A lot of people seem to be very happy with blue buffalo, taste of the wild and wellness brands too, which should be available at petco/petsmart. Of those I've only tried Wellness, and while Henry did okay on it, it gave him god awful gas so we switched lol.

15. colbycorgi

colbycorgi Senior Member

not to add to the "food war"...we will just put in here that our two have been eating California Naturals, Lamb and Rice, Large Bites since we got them 3 and 4 years ago. They came to us on different foods from the breeders but we got this reccomendation from our trainer at the time.....We have not ever had any issues and they seem to like it....sometimes we switch Chubba Colby to the Low Fat version, which is slightly higher in price, but we will see what the vet has to say at their annual next week....Crazy Cammie sure doesn't need the lower-fat version....:) Good Luck with whatever food you decide....every dog is different so thats why there are so many options....

16. Irishgirl07

Irishgirl07 Member

Thanks everyone for your help; I agree the shipping costs are pretty ridiculous. I may start out with wellness since it seems pretty well recommended and go from there. The only problem is, the closest petsmart where I am from is 60 miles away and I do not support petland at all so I may have to order online.

17. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

Since I started it :laughing:, just wanted to throw in my two cents (2 years later & STILL researching dog nutrition). :laughing: It's the much higher FAT percentages in the grain free foods, that I find concerning (for adults), not so much the high protein, anymore. BUT the higher protein for puppies is another story...most of these grain-free food had a visable disclaimer, when they first hit the market, they wer NOT suitable for puppies. Most of those have "magically" disappeared from the bags, but most grain frees have been reformulated at least 2 or 3 times since that old post...

I would recommend double checking the phosphourous/calcium levels and ratios are appropriate for a puppy (to be on the safe side), before selecting one. From all of the "real" research I've found, that's one of the biggies and can cause problems in adults and much more so in growing puppies.

18. Corgis4me

Corgis4me Senior Member

I buy my food from a place called Pet Supply Plus, it is in town here. Do you have a store like that in the area or do you have a Petco which may be closer than the Petsmart?

Also, look up some brands you are interested in and go to the locator link on the companys page. Sometimes, you will find that the food is carried at places closer to you that you may not have thought of. Not all links are updated with the retailers, but its worth a try. Places that Board dogs also sometimes carry an assortment of dog food along with pet supplies, and you might find that they sell one of the better brands. The place in my town where I board Cody does.

19. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

Duncan is on Natural Balance Limited Ingredients.....allergies to grains and I'm beginning to think gluten. So, I'm pretty limited on what to buy him it seems. I bought a couple of cans of Merrick dog food to mix with his dry. I didn't see anything that would trigger his allergies, but there must have been something else in it I'm not aware of his is allergic to. Within two days of starting to give the canned food to him, he licked a raw spot on his front paw. As soon as I stopped the food, he stopped the licking.

20. Irishgirl07

Irishgirl07 Member

Not really; unfortunately I live in a very small town that has gas stations and two restaurants..It's a very old fashioned town and unfortunately not many people take great care of their animals. I doubt they would have any good quality food, but we have a tractor supply. There is a petmart 45 minutes away but I have only been there once since I usually go the other direction and its really out of the way. I do go to lexington and louisville occasionally I should be able to find something there and I could stock up until I go again.