Puppy Food

Discussion in 'Puppy Feeding' started by Irishgirl07, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Irishgirl07

Irishgirl07 Member

Interesting, Rascal licks his paws a lot too..I wonder if he could be allergic to his food. I thought it could be a nervous habit or obsessive about keeping his paws clean but maybe not..I'm glad you mentioned that, it has me wondering now.

2. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

Gluten comes from wheat and wheat related grains, so if he is eating grain free he should not be expossed to wheat...unless it's being used as a flavoring, thickener, etc. If you still have the can (or can look at the ingredients online) I "think" the most common is dextrin. It would much easier (and probably give you a bigger selection!) to choose the foods that will work for Duncan, if you can find out exactly what he is allergic to by testing.
    Which formulas did you buy? Most (all?) of the "regular" Merrick contains grains. You can get a general idea by comparing the ingredients of the Natural Balance and those in the Merrick, making a list of the ingredients that are different, and going from there. This method is not really all that accurate, frustrating, can give you ALOT of variables, and is like trying to find a needle in the haystack, but since you know the food the bulk of his nutrition comes from (NB LID) works and are only concerned about foods you used to supplement, Duncan's nutritional needs are being meet and you "might" be able to figure what is amiss. Asking your vet for help/guidance would be best, though.

3. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

Some dogs do obsessively lick themselves and other things. In my experience with allergies...hot spots, fleas, or other health conditions (which can be misdiagnosed as allergies), they either lick until there is hair loss, reddened skin, and/or a wound or they chew (using their teeth) themselves, as opposed to licking. Plus, with allergies, enviromental allergies are more likely than food allergies. As long as Rascal is licking (again, as opposed to chewing), not losing his hair, having inflammed skin, or wounding himself, I would not worry about it. Honestly (since he does not have known food allergies), I would check for fleas, think it's a hotspot,or another health issue, before a food allergy.

4. Irishgirl07

Irishgirl07 Member

Okay good. I was beginning to get a little bit worried. We use frontline on him so I wouldn't think it could be fleas..Maybe he is just really obsessive about keeping his paws clean. I hope so!

5. Irishgirl07

Irishgirl07 Member

I also have another question: Would the beneful be causing her to potty a lot? Within an hour she has went 3 times..is that normal?!

6. Irishgirl07

Irishgirl07 Member

I just now seen this post :lay: whoops! haha. What numbers would you recommend me look for on the nutrition label? I have tried looking but there is not really a constant number either one is too high or too low or has enough but there is something wrong with something else..I had no idea it would be so frustrating to find dog food!!

7. Corgis4me

Corgis4me Senior Member

Going poop 3 times in an hour is a lot in my opinion. Over the course of the day how many times does she have to poop?

If she is licking his paws, I personally would pick a food without wheat and corn to start

Here is the ingredients for others to see in the food you are feeding

INGREDIENTS
    Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), chicken, milk, rice flour, soy flour, sugar, propylene glycol, animal digest, tricalcium phosphate, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, sorbic acid (a preservative), water, calcium carbonate, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, dried carrots, dried peas, calcium propionate (a preservative), dicalcium phosphate, choline chloride, added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Blue 2, Yellow 6), Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude Protein (Min) 28.0% Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.1%
    Crude Fat (Min) 12.0% Phosphorus (P) (Min) 0.9%
    Crude Fiber (Max) 4.0% Iron (Fe) (Min) 175 mg/kg
    Moisture (Max) 14.0% Vitamin A (Min) 10,000 IU/kg
    Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.5% Vitamin E (Min) 100 IU/kg

8. Corgis4me

Corgis4me Senior Member

I have a cat that is allergic to Potato; who would think that. He was tested; and potato is often put into foods that are Grain free.

9. Irishgirl07

Irishgirl07 Member

After I looked at the review and found out what "by product" is; I was disgusted that they would actually feed them these foods. She probably goes around 2-3 times like I mentioned above (a lot at once). What would your recommendations be for the protein amount and etc for her since she is still a puppy?

10. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

Sorry for confusing or worrying you. That post was regarding the grain free foods and the old post referenced.

As others have mentioned, food too high in protein may contribute to problems with bone growth/plate closure in some puppies. There is no upper limit for protein levels, only a minimum. "Generally," a food is considered to be high protein if the minimum protein % is above the 26-28% range. Grain free foods are usually well above those percentages. Many puppy foods are "super charged" and also above...which is why large breed puppy foods were developed. Some breeders and owners choose to skip puppy food all together and feed an All Life Stage (ALS) food.

I'm not saying DON'T fed puppy food or grain free to your puppy. People do. If you do just be aware, learn as much as you can, and make the best decision for you.

I had a huge, excessive, and very confusing post, but instead here is the link, if you need help with actual nutrient values. Scroll down for the Dog Food Nutrient Profiles (cats are below it) Selecting Nutritious Pet Foods Most foods exceed these, but they also should NOT exceed any maximum levels listed.

Hopefully, I haven't made this any more confusing. All of the foods you mentioned are good foods...
    Not me, but I'm violently allergic to guinea pigs, so I guess anything is possible!

11. Irishgirl07

Irishgirl07 Member

This website is perfect! Thank you so much, now that I know the numbers that should be on the label I know what to get!

12. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

Whatever brand you get, if you can go to a pet store, get a small bag, keep your receipt....some places will let you return food that disagrees with them. Also, with a better brand of dog food, there will be less waste, as there is less filler in it; keep that in mind.

I'll have to admit, at least this "food war" is going quite nicely. Whoo-wee! Some in the past have been almost WW3...LOL!

As far as allergies go with Duncan, I stick with the Natural Balance for the food, and benedryl for the grass. Yes, he is allgeric to grass certain times of the year. Usually spring and fall. He will set and spin like a top if he's been outside and sitting or laying in the grass. I buy benedryl like drug from Puritan Pride. About twice a year they have a buy one get two free sale. Between him and I, we keep the company in business.

13. Irishgirl07

Irishgirl07 Member

Okay I will remember that, I just have to find a place that actually sells good dog food now! Lou Ann I sent you a message but I'm not sure if it worked since I'm new to the forum I'm not sure if I sent it correctly..Should I ask what the food war was about? Lol

14. cns01120

cns01120 Junior Member

I like California Naturals, Orijen and Fromm's.

I currently use Fromm's because it is lower cost but still has great ingredients. They also have tons of flavors: pork and applesauce, chicken a la veg, beef, salmon a la veg, duck and sweet potato, surf and turf, puppy, adult etc. The flavors are meant to be interchangeable without causing upset stomachs. There are grain free flavors as well if you are looking for higher protein. All the flavors are suitable for all life stages. A 15lb bag is $25. This lasts my corgi about 4-6 weeks.

15. tranta1989

tranta1989 Senior Member

I am getting a puppy who will be eating fromm puppy food. I already have Wellness super5mix chicken dry food. It doesn't state that it's "all life stage".. do you think it will be ok to feed my puppy this? He will be 10 weeks when I get him.

16. truman

truman Senior Member

My breeder didn't feed puppy food because she feels that it is too high in protein. We fed him as a puppy and still do feed him Holistic select brand, along with a spoonful or either cottage cheese or plain yogurt. He is darn near perfect in terms of weight, never had a stomach upset or loose stools or any other health issues....did I mention he is perfect ? :D

17. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

One can buy food specifically for puppies with less protein included. Generally speaking, small dog breeds require more protein than do large dog breeds and Corgis fit into the 'small' dog category.

18. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

On their web page it says "For Puppies and Pregnant or Nursing Dogs: Feed 25% more than the amounts listed." (Complete Health Super5Mix Chicken Recipe) That tells me that it's for all life stages, even if it doesn't say that specifically on the package.

Yes, IMO, it's ok to feed that to your puppy. However, I would get some of the Fromm's too and mix it, transition him over to what you want to feed slowly.

I've not fed a puppy formula food for a long time. I have dogs here that will be 13 next month that have not ever had any puppy formula food.

Peggy