Puppy vomited?

Discussion in 'General Puppy Discussions' started by ampersand, Nov 2, 2014.

1. ampersand

ampersand Junior Member

Hi, everyone! I’m new here with a now nine week old Pembroke! I’ve had him for a little over a week and he’s extremely well-behaved and awesome, but we’ve already had a couple of issues.

His breeder had him on Taste of the Wild puppy formula and we planned on feeding him that until 12 weeks, at which point we would be slowly introducing Blue Buffalo chicken and rice. Sadly, nowhere (without exaggeration) around here sold it after we quickly ran out of the amount the breeder sent with him. He had no slow introduction to the new food and he had diarrhea and vomited once.

We took him to the vet (this is my first puppy so I’m really erring on the side of caution) and they ran some tests due to my worry of taking him outside in my backyard to use the bathroom. I live in a condominium and I don’t have a blocked off backyard, but there hasn’t been parvo in the area and it takes a LOT of work for a dog to get into my backyard despite there being no fence. Even then, I worry about him catching something.

They said he’s fine – gave him some antibiotics while he adjusts to the new food and he’s been fine. His poop was normal yesterday, but we left him with my boyfriend’s grandparents today and now it’s toothpaste consistency. She informed us she gave him a bit of cheese, two potato chips and a Cheez-It. He also snuck a few bites of her dog’s food, the adult version of what we feed him.

We got home from a 50 minute car ride and he vomited about 15 minutes after we got home. I would usually attribute it to carsickness, but he’s never had an issue in the car before. I’m a bit worried. He’s acting relatively normally (biting the daylights out of my sister) not lethargic at all… Should I be concerned? I don’t want to pay for another $100 vet visit if I don’t need to.

2. wuzzup

wuzzup Senior Member

When you change foods, you slowly introduce the replacement food, ie. sneak it in. So, if you feed your pup a cup a day of food, sneak just one teaspoon at the beginning. If your moving from non chicken to chicken based food, I'd add some low sodium chicken broth to the food to help digestion, too. Bacterial gut flora plays a essential role for all mammalian digestion and when you change food, sometimes new flora must populate before full digestion can take place. Thus, you introduce it slowly and keep foods nice and wet to make the transition easier. Fatigue is the most feared symptom in a dog, imo. Occasional vomit and diarrhea? Corgis are foragers. If you're raising em right, you're gonna be cleaning up lots of messes from this point forward.

3. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Make it plain to anyone who minds your puppy not to give him any food that you have not pre-arranged or pre-determined and i would not get into any habit of feeding him with inappropriate non-dog food. or food which has a potential to upset him or even unsolicited dog food that he has not been carefully introduced to. It could be that he has a intolerance towards dairy products (cheese, milk, butter etc (and in any case milk and butter are not for puppies or adult dogs). It could be that a car ride also could cause an upset tummy.

Extra care must be taken with young puppies when it comes to food and water.

Another factor with puppies is that they try and ingest anything - plants flowers, leaves, twigs,weeds, materials, plastics and some of these things are toxic which produces vomiting and diarrhoea.

MR likes this