Red or black headed tricolor?

Discussion in 'General Corgi Discussions' started by lazyninja, Aug 24, 2016.

1. lazyninja

lazyninja New Member

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can tell if this male tricolor pup will be red or black headed. I'm thinking about getting him from a breeder and these are the only pics I have so far. These are taken at about two weeks just after his eyes opened. image.jpeg image-1.jpeg

2. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Black headed. The markings of red and white with the black is a bonus. The black surrounding the eyes etc are unlikely to change at all. His nose though should go all black.

3. lazyninja

lazyninja New Member

Thanks for the reply! I've never had a corgi but from what I've researched so far the pups born with darker coats seem to often lighten as they grow up. How can one tell if this will happen? I was kind of hoping his "mask" might lighten a bit over time, here is an example of what I mean.
    http://arkansascorgis.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=89 (Allie @ 5 months old - Corgi Owner: Shevette in Cabot, AR Pembroke Welsh Corgi Puppy in Cabot, Arkansas [] : Arkansas Corgis, Pembroke Welsh Corgis)

4. Michael Romanos

The black mask on that Pem was more of a sable (black mixed with red) early on and so he/she became more red. Yours has definite solid black areas.

For a tri, the darker the black areas are the better for aesthetic reasons. But not all are a deep black.

5. lazyninja

lazyninja New Member

Here's a 4 week update. 4 more weeks and I'll get to pick him up from the breeder. IMG_0378.JPG

6. fromperpig

fromperpig Member

I'd love to own a black headed tri, someday. I rarely see them so when I do, it's hard to look away. Puppy is cute. Cool toenails! :)

7. Michael Romanos

The thing with black masked tris are that the black coat around their eyes detracts from the expressiveness that is the Corgi.

8. Helewisetran

Helewisetran Junior Member

@ZeldaTheCorgi, what you said about fluffies is true. Liberty (my fluff) was her mother's first litter as well. Her breeder was surprised that there were 3 beautiful fluffs in her litter. Michael, if you are insisted that there are breeders in US breed fluffies, maybe you should let us know who they are. God knows I could have used that info in my 2 years searching for fluffies. I had to make friends with local rescue, corgi group, local breeders (and not so local breeders) and beg everyone to let me know if there is a fluff available. Through the grapevine, I learned about Liberty and her sibling. One of the breeders was kind enough to let me know her friend in Houston, TX just have some and we fly out that weekend to pick up Liberty.

9. Michael Romanos

I wouldn't pass on this info to anyone because it will influence poor breeders - and there are more than there fair share in the USA - to continue to downgrade Corgis and palm off Corgis with 'damaged' coats Some years ago on Go Corgi some members and I found breeders in the USA who were deliberately breeding fluffies and selling the pups through their websites and through other avenues on the internet.

10. sweetpuppy

sweetpuppy New Member

Totally agree with fromperpig. And you're so lucky to have this cutie :)