Robin Sighting

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Chip's Mom, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Chip's Mom

Chip's Mom Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Not sure if anyone else has seen robins but my front yard had several there this morning - a sure sign that spring is coming. :grin:

2. tandemgal

tandemgal Senior Member

Love the Robins! also had some Junco hopping around the edge of the fence a few days ago - 2 signs of spring :clap:

3. love2corgis

love2corgis Senior Member

Two robins been here in the garden all Winter long- sign of climate change? another sign is wet weather like today- chucking it down

4. Chip's Mom

In the Northeast and some parts of the southeast, Robins fly further south for the winter. The first sightings in early spring or late winter, means that spring and warmer weather in its way.

5. Jane Austen

Jane Austen Senior Member

This winter being milder than usual early on, there has been hundreds of robins staying all season. Up here in cold northern Massachusetts we have seen groups of robins. Although there was a time in the fall when I hadn't seen any for a while.
    I was always looking for robins around the first of Spring every year. Now the birds that mean spring to me are the red winged blackbirds.

6. ChloeLouise

ChloeLouise Senior Member

..."front yard"? What is that? We have SOOOOO much snow right now that spring seems a lightyear away! I hope our Robins have the good sense to stay south for a few more weeks!!

7. corgimom

corgimom Senior Member

Margo,

Your yard looks like ours. No Robins in sight yet, I would expect that is about a month away for us.

8. Mvons

Mvons Senior Member

Robin

I excitedly spotted a robin in my neighborhood the day before the storm unloaded 4 inches of snow on top of the inch of rain/slush/ice.

Then 2 days after the storm we have the southwest winds (called Santa Ana's) that bring our day time temperature up to 60F and night 35F. The winds gusts at dawn are scary as I was here during the 90mph 2yrs ago Oct and saw a 70 foot tree fall so quick there is no way to react. It was the miracle wind storm because no fatalities.

Weather is very unpredictable in So. Calif mountains. Somehow 60F feels like 50F with the winds and penetrates the house. I'm burning as much wood as 35F and no wind. Another reason why June puppy is a good calm time to get one before the Oct winds start up again.

I do see the daffodils starting to poke out. Now I know where to plant my new ones.

Merrie

9. Chip's Mom

Merrie - The wild daffadils are blooming here. Last spring Chip was afraid of them and snap the tops off LOL

10. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

Dillon loves daffodils, and stops at each flower to stick his nose in and sniff...he has always been a flower sniffer...it is really cute!

Emilie

11. Mvons

Mvons Senior Member

Now wouldn't that take the cake if we got a corgi that did that. I have had to resort to daffodils and now daylillies as the voles just swallowed my irises last year.

Meanwhile no gopher or vole has noticed the Jackson Perkin miniature rose bush that has survived 5 years. The 2yr old cherry tree was found horizontal last week chewed off by voles. The chewing looked like a miniature beaver chomping. We may be loosing a grand fir that was replacing the ton of ponderosa pines lost from the beetle during our drought.

Enough of my garden battles.
    Merrie

12. Clogs

Clogs Moderator

Good grief! I had no idea they were so destructive. They just look like fat, wee mice in the pictures i've seen.