Shedding

Discussion in 'Grooming & Care' started by Peggy, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

if you want some great grooming tips - including line combing your dog, dremmeling nails, bathing, etc you can look at the Christmas Corgi blog- Cathy has written about it and has photos for demonstration - it is a wonderful blog. Her grooming tips are very helpful.

her site is : Cathy Santarsiero The Christmas Corgi

Her May 27th blog date was where she shows how to line comb a corgi...

Emilie

2. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Great!!

Peggy

3. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Thanks Emilie, I didn't know about that site!! Pictures are always helpful!

Peggy

4. blw95

blw95 Junior Member

My corgi, Haley, used to shed year round. I tried the shed stop but that didn't seem to help. I just used to learn to deal with the fur...it was worth vaccuuming everday...I wouldn't have traded it for the world. Although the amount of shedding is unbelieveable. I wouldn't have traded the shedding for the unconditional love and the laughs that I received from it all....It's been almost 2 months since Haley has been gone and I find that I'm still picking up her fur. It's very bittersweet. in time I hope to have another corgi in my life.

5. t.lynch

t.lynch Junior Member

After reading a few threads on shedding, I have an idea of what to expect from my corgi, but are all corgis the same? Does every corgi shed as much as it seems they do? From what I've learned it's important to keep them brushed and groomed. What other steps can I take to tone down the shedding And dander? Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with a HEPA filter

6. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

Well, daily brushing helps keep some of the shedding down, but there's no getting away when they blow their coat. This seems to happened especially if you're in a climate that has several seasons (such as Ohio).

So, we suggest daily brushing, a furminator, and a Dyson sweeper. Oh, if you have a lint brush by your side. But, wear that hair with pride! Not everyone can have a corgi own them! LOL!

7. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

A furminator may be a little harsh on most Corgis. As there are other reasons for profusive shedding as opposed to normal shedding, you have to wait and see though shedding aspects can be different for the same Corgi from one shed to the next. Some Corgis are moderate shedders through a number of factors and my Taylor despite being heavy coated, is one of those. It pays to do two things with a Corgi's coat - groom (brush and comb) for a few minutes every other day and make it bath time in the middle of a major shed which occurs twice yearly following a Corgi puppy's first major shed - the latter helps rid a great dollop of loose hairs. What is regarded as a major shed to one Corgi is pretty moderate when compared to another.

8. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

I choose not to bathe Ben too much as I was told this can cause even more shedding,environmental conditions can increase shedding IMO , I have a.c. so in summer the dogs are in and out from hot to cool regularly the reverse is true in winter. I had read an article on shedding at pets.ca the author raised some interesting points, see if you can find it. What I really wanted to give you is something John Wolffe posted on another forum"relax, shed happens"

9. Michael Romanos

Too many baths not good for a dog's coat so that it increases the amount of shedding - I suppose it depends on what you call too many baths. To me a bath every week (ioe 52 times annually) is far too many and unadvisable as it can cause damage to a dog's coat and skin, and a bath every month without any good reason is probably un-necessary though not harmful and is not going to produce more shedding.

I have never before heard of x number of baths producing increased coat shedding but I have heard of poor quality dog shampoo and of some dog owners using human shampoo on dogs which is a bad thing and likely to harm the coat (vis more shedding) and of course a dog's skin.

10. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

Yup Michael I choose not to bathe my dogs cause it works for them, they have beautiful coats and everyone comments on that,my dogs aren't show dogs, they are our companions all they have to do is "come here" not "show"

11. Michael Romanos

That's fine Kevin but I still have to defend bathing dogs regularly (say four times a year and at other times where necessary) with quality dog shampoo, correct application and with proper drying methods and post-bath grooming as beneficial and promotional to dogs, beneficial when coming into contact with the public at large and kudos to the owners and is not going to disadvantage a dog but is a credit in their favour.

Baths are beneficial to ridding excessive loose hairs when dogs are in full coat shedding mode.

12. Tesrey

Tesrey Senior Member

I agree with you on both counts. My dog looks and smells good without the baths. He is trained in the ways that I need most and I am just grateful for his company.

13. Michael Romanos

This is a shedding thread not a bath thread but there are two things:
    1/ bathing a dog with quality shampoo and using proper drying techniques (and in not resorting to extreme in repetitive bathing) is not going to produce more shedding but it will produce more loose hairs at the time of the bath because that is from the result of a full groom. I think keven's informant may have got his wires crossed.
    2/ A good professional dog groomer will tell you that despite the opinion of a layman, there is a difference between an unbathed dog and a bathed dog - a shampooed coat and an unshampooed coat even if the coat beforehand had appeared clean and largely scent-free or was not producing an obnoxious smell. People who have a close relationship with a dog may become somewhat immune to that dog's general smell/scent. A bath also aids the coat ie replenishes the coat and aids the health of the skin. Help, if this wasn't so, then all advertising and veterinary best practices would be discredited.

14. chrismunkrn

chrismunkrn Senior Member

A HEPA filter will help keep fine airborne particles to a minimum, like dander and dust. As for Corgi fur...I have found Sooner sheds a lot about twice a year when he blows his coat...I just have to vacuum more often. Changing his food also seemed to change the amount of fur shed. He is eating Merrick now and shedding less than when he ate Solid Gold. He still sheds all year round but it is a small price to pay...Corgis are fabulous companions! =)

15. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

16. truman

truman Senior Member

My female is experiencing a light blowing of her coat..last July and September were brutal for my two last year...wonder what this means in terms if weather ?

17. Michael Romanos

Does it mean that your forthcoming spring and summer weather is not going to reach extremely warm/hot temperatures this year?

18. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Who knows? Mine often blow in Jan. And haven't this year. Some are just starting.

Females who are intact will blow their coats 4 mos. after being in season, which is also when they'd be weaning puppies if they had been bred. For intact females it depends on their heat cycles not the calendar seasons.

For males and altered dogs of both sexes, it's more to do with temperatures, amount of daylight, and when Mother Nature decides they should blow coat. ;)

Peggy

19. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Also a light blowing might mean she's just getting started. Or that it's going to be a cooler than average summer?

Peggy

20. Michael Romanos

We have done shedding to death I had thought. So much depends on the state of a dog and the conditions that they are subjected to. A lot depends on the type of food that they get and the health of their skin and hair. As well there are the mental aspects including stress or lack of it and anxiety or lack of it and general disposition. A dog in a more temperate climate is not gong to shed as much or for as long when they are in their major shedding periods as are dogs in extreme climates. Taylor my Corgi usually has a major shed that lasts no more than two weeks and judging by some reactions to this from Go Corgi members in the USA, their experiences are for much longer and more severe sheddings of their Corgis.