Shedding

Discussion in 'Grooming & Care' started by bajoiner, May 13, 2006.

1. bajoiner

bajoiner Senior Member

Could anyone tell me how often Corgi's shed? Sassy shed in November and is now starting to shed again. We live in Florida if place of residence makes a difference.

bajoiner:confused:

2. Corgis'R4me

Corgis'R4me Senior Member

*~* bajoiner...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *~* Midnight & Sunshine are 7 months old now....& they DO NOT shed that much at all. I brush them everyday & I only give them a bath once a month.

I wonder...if diet/food has anything to do with possibly controlling some of the shedding ???

** Michael...what is your opinion ?? **

*~* Nikki :p

3. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Go Corgi has devoted a lot of space to shedding. So go to Advance Search and type in the word: shedding.
    But briefly, Corgis usually shed big twice yearly. But conditions eg weather, heat (natural or un-natural eg electric or gas heaters) and inside/outside living, do play a part. Some Corgis shed often - like a lot of minor sheds around the major ones. Corgis have some loose hair daily and that's a very good reason why they should be groomed daily - to get rid of a lot of the loose stuff. It just requires three -four minutes daily with a comb-brush-comb system - and don't forget their tummies and fronts, and monthly or three weekly baths. Climatic conditions also affect the thickness of the coat. The thicker the coat the more hair that is shed. Taylor has a thick double coat and he would obviously be much more luxuriously coated than Corgis born and raised in the Southern parts of the USA.
    I doubt that a special diet will help "glue" a dog's coat so that shedding will lessen.

4. Chip's Mom

Chip's Mom Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Digger was born in Northern New York - where it is 40 below for days. Short Summers and long winters. He always had a heavy corgi winter coat. When we moved to Tennessee, he still grew his heavy winter coat but he grew it and shedded it all year round. Lot's of fluff and Dig never liked to be brushed - it made for much fun and little clumps of Digger all over. :) Believe it or not but I miss his clumps.

5. gailkate

gailkate Junior Member

Clipping

I'm sorry I don't know where to find "advanced search" because this is probably covered in detail somewhere. I'm not so concerned about shedding at the moment, I'm concerned about our Tosca getting overheated. We also have a little Cocker and we just did a minor clipping - some of the feathering under his legs - because it's HOT right now.

Both pups (~5 mos.) seem to get tired on a short walk, their little tongues hanging out, so I'm wondering if we need to clip the Corgi, too. Please don't everyone have a fit about messing up her coat - she's never going to be shown, just an adored family pet. I want her to be comfortable in extremely hot weather. She doesn't have her full coat yet, but the fur on her chest and around her neck is very dense.

6. Michael Romanos

I would never clip a Corgis coat because it would look just ghastly. When you take a Corgi in, you take every part of him/her. Weather conditions will influence the length of Toscar's coat. Don't take Corgis for walks in the hot parts of the day - Take him out early morning, late afternoon and in the evening. On a hot day were I live, I can go 'bush' with my Corgi ie walks in among the trees in forested, bushy reserves And I carry a cold water bottle that fits into a water container so that Taylor can have a drink any time. Taylor has the thickest of coats so on summer picnics and at agility meets etc in warm/hot weather, I make sure he has access to shade.

7. darci

darci Senior Member

I dont know if this is true or not, but I have read somewhere that the undercoat helps to keep them cool.
    I cant remember where I read this, maybe someone could let us know if this is true.

8. KatC

KatC Senior Member

gailkate - we live in a hot climate, Abby has a thick coat, almost a Fluffy. She is tri-colour, her back is very black which I am told will make her feel the heat more than a light coloured dog, however I am one of those who believe that the natural coat is an insulation against both heat and cold.

She is 17 months old and so far no heavy shedding, but we shall see what happens after this winter.

Re the short walks and tongues lolling right out, until Abby was about 15 months she would only walk a very short distance before insisting on lying down for a rest - after a minute would be ready to continue. Her tongue always hanging down - I carry water but she usually just has one lick at it.

Even now when she is playing her favourite game of ball in the back yard she will stop in the drop position and rest for about 30 secs (far side of yard with ball between paws and a big grin on her face), then gets up totally rejuvenated and expects me to carry on with the game, she repeats this until I am exhausted. Her tongue is always almost reaching the ground when playing.

9. corgimom

corgimom Senior Member

I am with y ou Michael, I would never clip a Corgis coat - With the hot
    weather here this weekend, I have been taking Cody out in the late
    evening for walks now or very early morning.

Linda

10. Michael Romanos

I know from way in the past that you could always tell an Aussie bred Pem at a conformation show in NZ by the length of their coat - they all seemed to be such short haired obviously due to the climate from which they came. But there are some parts of Australia very much like NZ - Victoria and Tasmania in particular. Here in NZ, a Corgi is able to have a full blown coat because of our temperate climate - and the Corgis from our South Island from the middle to the bottom are even thicker coated. Taylor was born near Christchurch which is in the mid-South Island.

11. gailkate

gailkate Junior Member

I do appreciate all your comments and the information about lolling tongues. I sure don't want to ruin her appearance, but her appearance isn't my first priority. I was thinking thinning shears, which wouldn't risk getting her too short or too choppy. I don't want her limited only to walks early or late in the day. She loves to play outside, and I'm thinking it isn't her fault that we got a dog bred for mild to cool climates whose coat wasn't intended for 94ยบ (which is what we reached today).

I agree that the coat can be good insulation, but since a dog cools off only through its pads and panting, we must be vigilant about overheating. Just as we wouldn't leave a dog in a hot car, I think we have to protect them from conditions nature never intended.

12. corgimom

corgimom Senior Member

Gailkate

Your Corgi can still play outside when it is hot, but provide plenty of water,
    maybe a wading pool and lots of shade and don't overdo it. Just like when
    a child is outdoors in the hot weather, you make sure they don't overdo it
    and they are well hydrated. Your Corgi will let you know when she has
    had enough, by laying down in a cooler shaded area, and after she has
    had enough of the hot outdoors, take her inside where it is cooler(I am
    assuming you have air conditioning; she will appreciate it. Just save the
    longer walks for the cooler times of the day. I just don't think the clipping is necessary.

linda

13. corgimom

corgimom Senior Member

Michael,

I was wondering if you have people in New Zealand that work in the dog grooming business that travel to peoples homes to groom their dogs? We have those here, where they come in their "mini motor home," and will groom your pet in their vehicle right in your own driveway. Quite a few people in our neighborhood utilize this service.

Linda

14. Michael Romanos

Funny you should ask that, Linda, because only the other day did I see a funny looking mobile grooming vehicle parked in our village centre. And my wife made some comment about one she saw. So the answer has to be yes. I guarantee its a lot more cheaper here for their services they provide. There were four things on the side of the car that says what they do -hydro bath was one but I can't recal lthe rest. Hydro baths are great for Corgis- gets well rid of loose hairs.
    Corgis and all shedding dogs should never be trimmed. I can't say the same for Corgis that are fluffs because the condition is not normal.

15. gailkate

gailkate Junior Member

Thanks, Linda. We're looking for a little wading pool - amazing how hard they are to find, since so many people now get much more elbaorate above-ground pools for their families.

I don't think there's a way to resolve our different opinions, but be assured I'm not going to ruin Tosca's coat. This kind of extreme heat is rare for Minnesota - at least it used to be :( . Today is a glorious break. But the paper this morning noted 4 people treated for heat prostration yesterday, 3 dogs dead, many more dogs and cats treated. The dead dogs just made me cry. So cruel and unnecessary.

Of course, our pups have all that we can provide for them and they typically sleep soundly during the afternoon, so they're in AC at the worst time. But there's been no goodtime for several days. They need exercise and they need to be kept cool, so it's a balancing act. I worked for some time at our humane society, and we had to be strict about teaching care of animals in extreme conditions, so I guess I'm pretty zealous. It makes me sick to see people running a dog - even alongside a bike! - with no thought that their beloved pet is straining desperately to please them.

Now that we can find dogs of all breeds in any part of the world, pwners of heavy-coated animals have to be especially responsible. I see people with Huskies, Malamutes, and Samoyeds who won't trim those gorgeous northern coats. Then I look at Tosca, whose body surface is also much smaller than most dogs',and I want to alleviate the stress that intense heat is putting on her. Today she'll have a bath, and maybe some of that heavy ruff will loosen and comb out.

16. Chip's Mom

My daughter has her chow clipped every summer and she is funny looking to say the least but she is oh so happy without all that hair. It gets hot in TN also. Yesterday it was 90 degrees. I would think sunburn would be a concern if they are clipped short.

17. gailkate

gailkate Junior Member

Yes, indeed! Our neighbors had their Goldendoodle clipped shorter than I'd have done, but she has time to grow a bit more before the worst of the summer. They face serious tick problems at their cabin, another reason for a coat they can watch closely. I'll bet the Chow isn't concerned at all about her appearance. :)

18. corgimom

corgimom Senior Member

gailKate

If there is one thing that bothers me, it is like you said, when people in
    hot weather are riding their bikes and their poor dogs are on a leash right
    beside them looking like they are about to drop dead. The dog has no say
    in the matter - most times I want to yell to the person that they should in
    no way be the owners of animals.

I am in Wisconsin so we had a very hot weekend also, but it is going to be
    in the 70's this week. This weekend I was at a local strip mall and saw
    a Golden Retriever in a car mid afternoon when it was 90 degrees outside.
    2 windows were only cracked down 2 inches at most and the poor thing
    was panting furiously. I waited for 20 minutes to see if anyone was coming
    out, but no one did. I did write down the persons license plate number and
    let the Humane Society know about it - I am not sure if they can really
    do anything about it, but I am hoping that they will at least send her a letter
    telling her this is terrible to do to a dog on a hot sunny day. Obviously this
    owner thinks it is okay and will continue to do this all summer long.

Linda

19. Chip's Mom

I was at Petsmart the other day when it was hot and a police officer came in and paged a lady. They had received a complaint that her dogs had been in the car for over an hour in the heat. She assured him it was only 10 minutes and no tickets were issued but it is good to know they do follow up on it in TN.

20. Michael Romanos

When you get extreme weather conditions, I don't believe any dog - hairless or long coated - should be forced out into the elements. There is a time and a place for everything. Mad dogs and Englishmen go out into the mid-day sun!!