Strange/Rude Things You Hear While Walking Your Corgi(s)?

Discussion in 'Stories' started by Cheetah, May 13, 2012.

1. froggieb

froggieb Member

Just a couple weeks ago a man came into our mall and after being greeted by both boys he said " theirs heads are too big for their bodies!" I said no they are well proportioned, its just their legs are short! He agreed but didn't sound convinced!

When Dash was tiny I got a lot of ppl who thought he was rotty/wiener mix. I still get some occasionally, that think he is GSD/Wiener mix!

There are even a lot of ppl who are familiar with corgis who think my boys are a corgi mix because they have only seen the red ones! "Oh, I didn't know they come in that color!"

2. TheChubbyOne

TheChubbyOne Senior Member

Ugh, just happened to me while walking Chubby. A man said the F-word in Hokkien (Chinese dialect) when Chubby went over to sniff his shorts. It's my fault for not making Chubb walk past him but really...

3. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

I never let my dogs approach strangers unless the person asks, and even then sometimes not. :lol: Not all people are dog people and some are afraid of dogs, so just take it as a lesson learned.

4. dogden

dogden Junior Member

comment: "Your dog is really buff."
    counter comment: "Yeaaa, I wish I had buttocks as firm as his."

comment: "What happened to his legs?"
    counter comment: "I couldn't afford four legs, so I bought two and broke 'em all in half to make four."

comment: "His ears are so big!"
    counter comment: "What we lack in legs, we make up for in ears."

5. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

LOL! Love those comments, especially about the legs

6. Capri142

Capri142 Junior Member

7. Michtink02

Michtink02 Senior Member

HAHA I've gotten "Look like you've lost your legs little fella, better go fetch em quick!" And every time I go over to my mother's house she's always calling Luna
    " A dog with no legs. " then I just rebudle with, " At least my dog is not a yappy kick me dog chihuahua! " lolol

8. froggieb

froggieb Member

I have had a lot of customers in my Antique mall call Dash a Yorkie. The most common comment that I consider rude tho is "looks like he doesn't miss a meal!" or "looks like he needs to go on a diet!" Dash is 27-28 pounds and his ribs can be felt easily. His last vet check the vet said that he is just perfect and is in perfect condition. You just can't explain these things tho. I will say that with his winter coat he does look a little portly.

9. TheChubbyOne

TheChubbyOne Senior Member

Chubby, like Dash is also 28~ pounds (12.6kg). When my relatives tell me he's fat, I tell them he's Chubby and that's the way I like it. Their dog is way too skinny (Maltese).

10. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Taylor has forever gone up to people and almost never been rejected and never such a thing as a real nasty word. It's funny that on occasions he ignores some children and adults when he is distracted with scenting, marking a tree, following a trail or another dog some distance away etc and I sometimes have to try and snap him back into his persona so that the kids or the adults can pet him. Taylor usual action is to gently muscle up to people including complete strangers and 'compel' them to pay him some attention.

11. Like, nine out of ten people that meet Spock think that he's a German Shepard. He does look sort of like one (with tiny legs), but you get tired of hearing it all the time.

12. Cardi Mum

Cardi Mum Junior Member

Excellent!

I get the usual comments about short legs, long ears + "what is that dog mixed with?!" I've owned Pembrokes & Cardis, & the Cardis confuse the general population way more!

13. Michael Romanos

Nearly everyone over the age of five in NZ knows a Corgi - so the most frequent remarks in passing Taylor gets are;
    1/ cute
    2/ There's the Queen's Corgi
    3/ love the coat

Muchael Romanos likes this

14. Yuhool

Yuhool Junior Member

When we first got Moogi many pointed at him and said "곰... 곰!!" which means bear in Korean. Haha! She kept asking if it was a baby bear!

Now we get "여우... 여우!!" fox fox!

Granted the welsh corgi isn't a popular dog breed in my city, but I feel we're going through the list of exotic animal names over here... ^^

15. SHW

SHW Junior Member

"did she come without a tail?"

no, it was an option at the dealership and i declined.

16. "Oh, look at the poor puppy! He got sawed off at the shins!"

17. Nadia

Nadia Junior Member

I live in Mexico so there isn't a lot of corgi's or people that know them… so its very common that every time i take Dorito for a walk people see him and don't know what type of dog i have, so they're always asking me… and when i say Corgi they always think i made it up or they say ohhhh a gorki? cory? yorki? gorgi? corni? affff its endless… or some guy said that i was walking a really fancy badger, and i have gotten badger a few times, and i don't know what or where the heck do they see badger on my dog!!! LOL

18. Barney Ryan

Barney Ryan Junior Member

Barney is always greeted with what a cute dog, and/or the queens's dog, and although there aren't a lot of corgis here in Bathurst Australia, a lot of the people who stop to give him a pat say they have had corgis when they were growing up and still miss them.... I love their little short legs...

19. Michael Romanos

The great era of Pembroke Corgis in NZ and Aussie has passed - that was in the 1970s-80s.

But still the vast majority of people over the age of five in NZ knows a Corgi when they see one in person or not.

MR likes this

20. Sandygirl

Sandygirl Senior Member

"Oh how cute! What is it?"......said a couple of 6 y/o little girls! They were smitten, as I am. I can't blame them, though, they have a .......yorkie! Bleh. Yappy Yorkies!

Sandy