Training collar

Discussion in 'Obedience, Agility & Other Sports' started by Chip's Mom, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Chip's Mom

Chip's Mom Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Does anyone use the lightweight, nylon training collars for obedience class? I use a regular buckle collar on Chip and some people were buying those at Maybelle's class tonight so I just wondered how well they worked or what people's thoughts were on them.

2. tandemgal

tandemgal Senior Member

During puppy training I used a harness on Chloe and did use them when I had both Girls out and about. Now I use a Martingale/Martindale (?) collar - some call it a Greyhound collar. It has a loop that tightens if they try to pull away and wont slip over their heads like regular ones do. Less cumbersome than the harness.

3. Jespah

Jespah Senior Member

I just used my dogs regular snap collars. I figure they needed to learn to behave with what they would be wearing everyday. Jem's breeder suggested the kind of collars that T-Gal was talking about.

4. milles2

milles2 Senior Member

My dog training club wants us to use choke chains. Ughhhhhh. I tried it w/ Tuck and he didn't seem to mind it as much as I did. So now both he and Lulu use Martindale collars in Obedience class.

As a matter of fact, their buckle collars tend to be decorative and special. I use martingdale collars for everyday. I still take collars off at the door when they come in. I've heard too many stories about collars getting caught. OK then there's the fact that Lulu loves to chew collars and leashes. I'm a Lupine customer for life: they are guaranteed even if they get chewed!

5. Chip's Mom

Chip's Mom Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

My trainer doesn't recommend choke collars only the lightweight nylon training collars but she said to definitely not leave them on a dog. I don't even leave Chip's buckle collar on him as I am afraid too.

6. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

I also take dillon's collar off when we go in the house. He has a buckle collar with all his tags on it for when we go for rides or head out of state...this way if GOD forbid he ever got away or lost, he would be reuinted with us. However for walks around my neighborhood and for school we also use a martingale collar. I found some lovely ones at www.aroundthehounds.com They have some really funky and fancy ones, he has a royal blue collar in a silk outside material with embrodery in Copper of dragons. It has lasted a year now with no signs of damage- a lot more sturdy than i thought it would be. I have since ordered two others- one is black silk with copper embroidered dragonfilies on it, the other is a really cool dark green with swirls of light green... I dont like the choke collars, the metal ones pull his hair, and he doesnt respond to it like you would think, he also will choke himself until he does this reverse sneezing thing he does, it sounds awful and he looks like he is in such distress. I have not tried the nylon chokes but i would imagine it would still pull hair and still not make an impression on my stubborn corgi!
    Emilie

7. Fluffypants

Fluffypants Senior Member

Jackie wears her martingale as an everyday collar also. It's only on for walks, though. In the house she is "naked".:eek: (Among other things, I don't want her to get mats in her fluff from the collar.)

She does have a decorative buckle collar for special outings as well (hot pink leather says JACKIE in swarovski crystals with 2 pink crystal hearts, and of course a matching leash . . . shoosh Linda ;) ).

8. corgimom

corgimom Senior Member

I hope you have a matching pink purse to go along with that beautiful collar you described:)

9. Fluffypants

No way! No pink for me - too girlie! Pink is a Princess-Only color! :D

It is a gorgeous collar . . . too bad it sinks into the fluff after about 2 minutes. Ah well, I know it's there.

I got it at www.shoppreciouspaws.com . . . in case any of the other princesses need one!

10. corgimom

corgimom Senior Member

Jessica, please don't deprive us; and please post a picture of her in that collar before it sinks into the fluff:D

11. Dillydoodle

yes, it is a must see! LOL!! Jessica, I think that she must be such a little princess...so spoiled. of course i would have gotten more fancy stuff for Dillon if Daddy wasnt so funny about it ( "he is a boy dog...not a little doll to be dressed up!" sigh, men....
    Emilie

12. Fluffypants

My hubby resists too, believe me. I wanted to get the collar for her last Christmas, but that plan was vetoed. :(

So last month, I went to a dog event (Puttin' on the Dog in Greenwich CT), and they were selling them at one of the booths. Well, hubby was not with me, so . . . . new collar and leash for Jackie!!! :D

I will take a pic & post. I have to anyway because the lady that makes them asked me to take a pic & send it to her so she could post on her site. Another member for the Jackie Fan Club. I swear she could run for office. Then "The Mayor" would be more than just one of her nicknames!!! Maybe she and Tucker could run on the same ticket, Susan. The Bunny Butt Party!

13. Dillydoodle

aww they would get my vote! LOL!

14. jprechel

jprechel Senior Member

We were using a buckle collar with Ace but our trainner talked us into a slip collar/lead. Ace actully respondes better with it on walks than with the buckle. When we went to an agility competition a few weeks ago we noticed everyone was using the slip collar. We let Ace be "naked" (as Jessica says!) in the house. We also have his tags on the buckle collar for when we go out of town.

15. Fluffypants

Picture!

Okay - I finally was able to get a picture of this collar without it disappearing into the fluff! And even still, you can't see the pink rhinestone hearts on either side of her name. Man is she fluffy! :D

16. Jespah

Jespah Senior Member

Jessica you are too much!!!!

Your new motto should be "bring on the bling!"! ;)

17. tandemgal

tandemgal Senior Member

very lovely! Emma would like one too in pink and red for Chloe

18. corgimom

corgimom Senior Member

Oh that is pretty Jessica, thanks for posting it - and does she have a diamond leg braclet to match:D

19. Fluffypants

no . . . but what an interesting idea . . . hmmmmmmm . . ;)