treats for teething puppy with a sensitive tummy?

Discussion in 'Puppy Feeding' started by tranta1989, Oct 7, 2013.

1. tranta1989

tranta1989 Senior Member

My little Apple is a monster with a sensitive stomach :) He is very tiny, almost 14 weeks and just a little over 7 lbs. When we got him a few weeks ago, he had very bad explosive diarrhea. He had fleas, we found out the diarrhea was from coccidia, and then he had tapeworms from the fleas. There was a point where he had no appetite, didnt play or drink water. After some antibiotics and finally getting all his shots... he has has solid stool for 2 weeks and been very healthy. He's been eating and gained 4 lbs over the last 3 weeks.

The other day, he had diarrhea in the morning. Then some soft serve later in the day. I think it may have been because of a different kibble I gave him as "treats" . So I am not sure if his stomach is just sensitive or everything was just from him being sick. Anywho, he is a normal teething puppy and I cannot give him rawhide because I just know it will be too strong for his stomach. What are some recommendations for sensitive stomach chews? Right now, I give him ice cubes, sometimes baby carrots (sometimes that can make his tummy upset too), and a kong toy (that we havent used much, he can't have too much peanut butter either). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. luvcorgis

luvcorgis Senior Member

If he isn't lactose intolerant, you could make some yogurt ice cubes. They don't freeze really hard and puppies love them. You might also put some of his daily kibble in a Kong, plug it with a little peanut butter and put it in the freezer. The cold treats soothe those sore gums!

3. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

A very healthy treat is a raw carrot. Baby carrots are the best but any fresh, peeled carrot will do (unpeeled but washed for baby carrots).

For better risk-free care, do not give bones of any description nor rawhide.

Michael Romanos likes this

4. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

For the diarrhea, give him a tablespoon of pumpkin, you can even freeze dollops of them as a treat.

It's possible the treats gave him some of the trouble. Did he go back for a checkup to make sure that the coccidia was completely cured? It may still be lingering a little.

5. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Better than treats (inclu "treats for a teething puppy" are appropriate safe 'toys' - incl 'toys' that they can get their teeth into. and reward praise by way of petting and kind words - rather than through food. Puppies can have up to six proportionate mealtimes a day so every meal is likes a 'treat'.

Michael Romanos likes this