Type of Food for Corgi Puppy/Adult

Discussion in 'Puppy Feeding' started by chanu2, Apr 30, 2015.

1. chanu2

chanu2 Junior Member

Hi everyone!

I'm new here.

I'll be adopting my first corgi mid June. I have begun to do some research on types of food for them, but have not been able to decide on a food.

I want a good quality food that isn't too expensive ($20-$30/bag) and also one that is available in pet stores like Petsmart or Petco so I wouldn't have to order it and those are the only pet stores where I live.

If you have any recommendations, that would be great!:back:

2. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Here is one tip on food. You are right to insist on "quality" which equates to 'premium' which doesn't equate to cheap or inexpensive. But here is the thing: better quality dog food goes further than cheap lower quality dog food so that the cost of premium dog food can be actually less than the cheaper variety. For example I give my Corgi two thirds to three quarters of a standard cup of dry (kibble) dog food a day excluding supplementaries. With cheap low quality dog food the amont my Corgi might require per day is anything up to two cups.

Always supplement your Corgi's meals with fresh appropriate vegetables and if given dry kibble as the main component, also add in some supplementary 'wet' food such as dog canned food or dog roll. The wet food certainly adds taste/flavour to Corgis meals.

Lastly,daily meal-times can be anything up to six (generally 3-4)- apportioned of course.

MR likes this

3. Kal3ido

Kal3ido New Member

What food did you go with? I just got my Corgi on the 19th. I also wanted to try a higher end brand. My decision came down to ingredients, price & size. I was picking out of a a 4lb Wellness brand Vs. the pet smart store brand simply nourish small breed puppy 6lb bag. I believe I comepared it and it was very similar. Also wellness was 2lb less for more money. So far my puppy eats twice a day with 2 1/2 cups.

4. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

When I got Fletcher 10 months ago, I wanted to give him The Best. So I bought the world's best rated dry food for the past seven or eight years, Orijen (made in Canada). He didn't like it. I then shifted to Eukanuba. Didn't like that either. So it is not only the best but it is also what your Corgi will apparently enjoy or tolerate. In NZ we have at least two world class canine meal producers from their range of products. Fletcher has two of them as part of his daily meals which also includes Hill's Dental Care (large kibble balls). And he also gets wet food added which includes possum dog roll and a variety of fresh veggies.

Two and a half standard cups of food per day is far too much - I would cut down to one and a half cups plus a large dog biscuit daily as a standard rule.