Wellness Core?

Discussion in 'Puppy Feeding' started by Madicakes, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Madicakes

Madicakes Member

I am looking for a quality food to feed my puppy that will be coming home shortly. I do know to add it slowly, mixing it with what she is being fed currently. I am having a really difficult time deciding on a brand. I want something that is relatively easy to pick up...say at a local PetSmart or PetCo store. I was looking into the Blue Buffalo, but came across a lot of reports of pets having problems with it, kidney failure, etc. I was wondering about the Wellness Core dog food. Has anyone tried that? Does anyone have any recommendations. I have read a few previous threads, but it seems that a lot of the recommendations aren't anything that I've seen locally. Thanks for your help!

2. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

You should not confine yourself just to ease of procuring a food product when seeking the best or among the best. If going out of your way is the best result for your Corgi then by all means do it. In NZ I would not buy supermarket standard dry food kibble for my Corgi but the vet clinics and all the pet shops here stock premium dog food. and most of these if not all are entirely acceptable. Generally the more expensive the product the better quality it is.

Michael Romanos likes this

3. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

I don't feed it and haven't tried it but I know others who use this food and are very happy with it.

It is a premium food and should be available in both stores you mention.

Peggy

4. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Wellness is not a supermarket food and Petsmart and PetCo are pet supply stores not a supermarket.

They do carry lower grade foods too, but both also carry a good supply of premium foods.

Peggy

5. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

While I agree that feeding a high quality super premium food is best, the ability to consistently find the food you are feeding to your dog is also very important. I used to feed my cats a specific food that I felt was super high quality and that they loved.. Unfortunately it became harder and harder for me to find locally and after finding myself driving to 4 different pet food places ( one being 50 miles from my home) I decided to switch foods for the sake of my sanity and to make sure that I could always obtain the food I was feeding them. I made sure to switch them to an equality high quality food. There are enough good foods around that there is no reason to pick one that is super hard to find if you have other choices,

As far as core goes, I have not tried it for either cat or dogs. I think the core is good but I think there are better foods out there for less money . I spend less on the Fromms than I would on core. I think core is actually on par price wise with Orijen in my area and again, it is good , but not $$$THAT$$$ good.

I think it is definitely better food than blue buffalo, not that the BB is bad....

Emilie

6. Michael Romanos

Peggy - get it right. I never said that pet stores in the USA were supermarkets like you seem to have inferred.

7. Madicakes

Madicakes Member

I suppose I should have been a bit more specific, as I feel somewhat scolded. My "local" Petsmart and PetCo are not what one would normally consider "local"...as they are a 40 and 45 minute drive for me, respectively. I am certianly not limiting myself to my local supermarket. I don't mind driving to obtain the food, but I don't want to choose a food that I cannot locate within a reasonable driving distance, and would have to purchase online.

Thank you for your feedback. I will have to look into the Fromms and see if I can find that in my area, as I've never seen it. I'm sure there are other pet supply stores that would carry it, however. I certainly want to get the best for my $$!

8. Madicakes

Madicakes Member

I got on the Fromm website and there is a store within the same distance as PetSmart that carries it! I'm going to try it, as it is a much more reasonably priced than the Wellness, and seems to be good quality. Thank you for the suggestion!

9. Michael Romanos

I must say that buying online should be cheaper than buying from a store. The last dog food that I puchased online from a NZ distributor A/ was cheaper than the usual store price B/ was delivered freight free, C/ arrived the day after i had ordered it D/ came with a discount for the next purchase.

10. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

No It is NOT necessarily cheaper to buy quality dog food on line vs in the store as you pay for shipping and dog food is heavy. So you might find the food itself cheaper, but by the time you have it shipped you may end up paying more.

Fromms is a good food and I know that there are other members here and on the other corgi site that use Fromms and like it. I started my boys on their 4 star line ..not the grain free..however I did change them over to the grain free and they are doing well on it. We have tried the chicken a la veg, whitefish and potato, their beef frittata which is a grain free and right now the boys eat the Fromms game bird and are doing well on it. For a puppy, I probably would not start with the grain free... But that is me.

As far a being "scolded" by a certain someone, do not take anything he says to heart...this is the norm around here...

Emilie

11. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Michael, you get it right. I didn't infer anything about the stores. I was stating that Wellness is not a supermarket food.

Peggy

12. Michael Romanos

Well then. Peggy don't write in response as though you are attempting to correct me vis you saying " ......Petsmart and Petco are not supermarkets". We know they are not and I never said they were.

Talk about writing stuff for the sake of it!

13. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Your quote was:
    My reply:
    That they are not supermarkets was added, but the main part of the response was that the food was not a supermarket food.

Don't imply someone is going to buy a food in a supermarket if you know the stores they mention are not supermarkets. How are we supposed to know you know they are not supermarkets?

Peggy

14. Michael Romanos

Peggy - quit preaching to me that pet shops in the USA are not supermarkets when we know that they are not.. Anyway you obviously cannot remember when you told me that supermarkets in the USA do stock some premium dog food as well as others.

In NZ the supermarkets here go only as high for dry food (kibble) as Purina One and Beneful, Champ, Nutro, Pedigree and a few others none of which are premium.

I do buy dog biscuits from the supermarket for Taylor and the dog roll that he gets from time to time as a supplement and as treats.

Muchael Romanos likes this

15. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

I am not preaching. I sure don't see where you get that idea. I mentioned it ONCE, and admitted that I did say it. That is what I said in my second reply to you.

Iams and Purina Pro Plan are both sold in US supermarkets and some people consider them preimum foods. (I'd prefer the Pro Plan over Iams if I had to choose but don't feed either one.) Nutro however isn't sold in US supermarkets. Other than that about the same.

I'm done with this subject.

Peggy

16. kozmo

kozmo Junior Member

Kozmo is almost 5 yrs of age. We feed him both Wellness and Merricks (to switch it up) since the day we brought him home at 12 wks young. Personally, I would recommend either of these brands. What more can I say, but Kozmo is quite the happy camper!:wiggle:

17. ellydruid

ellydruid Senior Member

I personally have not tried Wellness myself, but I HAVE had excellent success with Blue Buffalo, with both my Doxie and my (God rest him) old siamese cat, whom I lost last year.

The thing about higher protein foods such as Blue or any other grain free diet is that with a dog that already HAS kidney issues, it will cause problems. This is true for most mammals - if you have issues with your kidneys, protein elimination becomes problematic and will exacerbate them. Otherwise, higher protein is better for our carnivorous companions - they're designed to eat that way and their bodies will handle it. Too much in the way of carbohydrates, and you start to get glycemic issues. All dogs, especially higher energy ones, need a level of carbs to help maintain their glycogen stores, but too much will cause weight problems. When we switched our doxie from Innova weight management (High carb, low fat, moderate protein) to BB Wilderness, not only did we *finally* succeed at getting some of the chub he's had for a while off, but his attitude changed drastically. He was just more at ease with himself, on top of being satisfied with a bit less food daily. He is still offered the same amount, but some days he's content with eating a little less depending on his energy expenditure. Likewise, my siamese had multiple health issues due to age - he did drastically better on the cat version of the Wilderness, and I had to feed far less. I'm looking forward to seeing how our pup does on it. I'm of the opinion that feeding low protein/high carb diets is only acceptable when you have preexisting kidney problems - it becomes the lesser of two evils, but it's not ideal nutrition for an animal designed to eat a great deal of protein compared to carbohydrate. One caveat is to always make sure you have an abundance of clean water available.

As far as ease of obtaining it, it might work for you best to order online. Many of the pet suppliers run free shipping/auto ship programs to help offset the cost, and with gas being as expensive as it is these days, freight is often less expensive than driving forever just for pet food. It works if you can buy x amount for x time when you have other things to do in that area, but if I were in your situation I would just order it online and not worry too much about it.