What is your regular grooming schedule?

Discussion in 'Grooming & Care' started by tranta1989, May 9, 2013.

1. tranta1989

tranta1989 Senior Member

I know that most of use don't bathe our corgis unless they stink, or once a month.

Combing I think every other day is good?

Do you brush their teeth? Daily?

Nail clipping? Once a week?

Ear cleaning? how often?

My puppy is almost 10 weeks and I want him use to a grooming routine. He didn't like me brushing his teeth too much but I'm sure he'll get use to it! What is everyone else's schedule?

2. Cardiguy

Cardiguy Senior Member

Bath 3x a year, brush every other week, don't brush teeth, clip nails when needed around 1x a month and we have never cleaned Ruby's ears and after almost 12 years she has had no ear problems at all.

3. Cardiguy

Cardiguy Senior Member

Bath 3x a year, brush every other week, don't brush teeth, clip nails when needed around 1x a month and we have never cleaned Ruby's ears and after almost 12 years she has had no ear problems at all. The vet says her teeth and gums are in good shape and I think the reason is we always feed her kibble which is hard and gets rid of plaque.

4. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

I bathe when I think they need it. If I'm able to go to more than one weekend of shows a month they get bathed before each show. (And now days I don't even get one weekend a month, but that would be my preference except during the winter!) There are handlers now that bathe the dog EVERY day of the show.

I do nails as needed, on the show dogs I try for twice a week. The others once every two weeks or so. I check ears when I do nails. Teeth then too.

I prefer to give raw bones for cleaning teeth. But brushing teeth is recommended and there are many doggy tooth paste brands on the market now days. Daily is recommended, but if you can't do that even a few times a week would work.

Peggy

sweetpuppy likes this.
  5. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

I give a bath once a month in the summer months as they tend to smell more ( mostly their feet). In winter I do not give as many baths, intact this year the boys had a bath right before christmas and the next bath was beginning of march.

My basic schedule is:

clip/ dremmel nails once a week
    brush teeth twice a week (really wish I could make it a habit to do it daily)
    scale their teeth once a month.
    trim toe hairs once every three to four weeks.
    comb/ brush the boys coats daily when they are blowing coat or in the heavy part of tick season ( I do a daily tick check)
    clean their ears once a month usually right before their bath, though if I am skipping a month for their bath, I will just clean their ears.

And in winter when thee is a lot of harsh salts on the roads and it is dry, I use a Sheabutter balm made for dogs, and rub it into their paw pads right before bed.

Emilie

6. Gally

Gally Senior Member

Bath - only when he's really dirty, like when he rolls in goose poop.
    Brushing - daily during coat blowing, 2-3 times a week rest of the year
    Ears - check every couple days and clean when necessary
    Clip nails - about once a month, sometimes twice
    Teeth cleaning - he eats a raw diet and that keeps his teeth clean

7. tranta1989

tranta1989 Senior Member

Thanks everyone for the reply! I guess I'm just afraid I'll forget to do something regularly but I'm sure I'll notice regularly what needs attention. Definitely trying to get him use to all the grooming now while he's still a puppy. He didnt like the teeth brushing too much today lol he's getting very good with nail clipping. He doesn't care much when I cleaned his ear either, as long as he had a toy

8. ellydruid

ellydruid Senior Member

Baths - When they need them/they found a pile of poo to roll in (or a dead rat, in the case of the other day o_O)

Nail trimming - when they need it, I like their paws to be more trim so it usually winds up being sooner than later.

Brushing - Couple times a week

Teeth brushing - This is an entirely new concept to me, even as an ex-vet tech. I plan on having them checked out at the vet and scaled if necessary once or twice a year, but we feed kibble and provide the occasional dental treats and have had few issues with bad breath. Halitosis tends to stem more from diet issues than tooth decay. I also feel tooth decay happens far more quickly when you have a diet that doesn't work for the dog.

9. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Corgis are one of the breeds of dogs that require 2-4 baths a year no matter what. But if they are dirty and smelly one can safely bath them more often. However Corgis should not carry a 'doggy' smell and if they do then it could be a health issue. Quality dog shampoos on the market means that it is safe to bath dogs more often than was previously the case. Dogs that do not get a proper yearly bath programme that matches their breed are in danger of contracting a very common disease. I usually bath Taylor during the middle of his two annual coat sheds which also helps to get rid of dollops of loose hair.

But "grooming" really means brushing and combing and best practices are to groom for a few minutes every other day or three days a week.

Teeth and gum brushing - 2-3 times a week.
    Nail clipping - not required on most dogs who get constant walking and running on hard surfaces (concrete, asphalt etc).
    Ear cleaning - not required on my Corgi but pays to check ears at least once a week and then to carefully use safe and clean material to clean inside the ears if required.

Michael Romanos likes this

10. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

Just thought I'd throw this in here Bathing Your Dog, Benson gets a bath if he needs it,maybe once a year, nail trims are rarely needed, I brush him a couple times a week, I check and clean his ears ,(if necessary) once a month, his vet says his teeth are perfect and brushing is not yet needed, when he sheds his brushing increases a bit.

11. Michael Romanos

Last year I did produce a published article/story on baths for dogs titled "Baths are beautiful". If anyone would like a copy contact me - email mjromanos@hotmail.com

12. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

What disease would that be?

Peggy

13. Michael Romanos

One of the skin diseases that dogs can get from lack of sufficient cleansing baths according to their breed is called pyoderma. There are also other reasons for this disease being contracted but lack of baths is one of them and noted that way for prevention of the disease.

I have just had published a story called "Prevention of common health problems in dogs" and according to a leading USA pet insurance company, pyoderma ranks eighth highest on the list of diagnosed health problems. It doesn' feature quiet as high in NZ according to two of our leading pet insurers.

If anyone would like a emailed copy of this story contact me: mjromanos@hotmail.com

14. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Where are your articles published?

Peggy

15. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

A few of the sites I found on pyoderma. I can't find where any of them say that lack of bathing is a cause for pyoderma. They mention wounds, cuts in the skin, auto-immune problems among the causes. But nothing about not bathing on a certain schedule being a cause.

Pyoderma in Dogs | Petside
    Bacterial Infection (Pyoderma) of the Skin in Dogs | petMD
    Canine superficial pyoderma: the good, the bad and the ugly - DVM
    Pyoderma in Dogs | Definition, Causes & Treatment | VCA Animal Hospitals
    Canine Pyoderma: Symptoms and Treatment
    Pyoderma in Dogs and Cats

Peggy

16. Michael Romanos

You will find a definite connection between lack of cleanliness over a period of time in a dog's coat and skin to that of the development of skin masses in general and pyoderma diseases. In any case that is the opinion of vets in relation to prevention of diseases and health issues who have studied this category of diseases. But there are other skin problems that can develop from neglect to clean the skin and the coat as often as necessary.

It is rather insidious to think that there can be no consequences if proper care of a Corgi's coat and skin are not being addressed and moderate best practices are not followed.

17. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

So now not bathing regularly also causes skin masses? Really? Where are you getting this info?

Could you name the vets and show us sites that state that?

I didn't say that there would be no consequences but I could not find any info stating that not bathing caused pyoderma as you stated. I'm not against bathing, but other than a stinky, dirty dog, I don't know of any skin diseases that are directly caused by not bathing. Maybe in some other breeds, such as those with skin folds...

Yes, I think that dogs should be bathed when needed, but "when needed" is up to the owner, not some set schedule that you've come up with. If that schedule works for you and your dog, great, but it doesn't need to be imposed on everyone else. Others have stated their own schedules and what works for their dogs.

I've owned one or more dogs since 1979, and taken in and fostered many rescues. I've not yet seen one dog that had any skin diseases due to not bathing, and yes, some of those fosters needed baths! But once bathed they were fine and no skin disease found.

Peggy

18. Michael Romanos

Bathing a dog on a normal bathing and grooming programme can remove any allergens that may be present from the skin: itchy, red, moist or scabbed skin and hot spots; bacterial or yeast skin infections - which may cause hair-loss ( incl excessive shedding), scabs or crusts on the skin.

'Shampoo' bathing therapy for dogs with skin diseases and for the prevention of itchiness. Bathing a dog is beneficial for MOST skin conditions including: dermatitis, mange, folliculitis/pyoderma, skin scraping, nodules, pruritis, pustules, seborrhea, scales/dandruff, ringworm etc.

As well, when dogs are bathed any lumps and tumors can be found and is beneficial towards the prevention and treatment of fleas, ticks and lice.

Michael Romanos likes this.

19. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Yes, bathing can be treatment for skin diseases, usually when using a medical shampoo. Sometimes even prescribed by a vet.

Lumps and tumors can be found by brushing/combing or even petting your dog also. But yes, things can be found when bathing a dog.

However, not bathing will not *cause* skin diseases. Won't help existing ones but doesn't cause them.

Peggy

20. Michael Romanos

Bathing a dog as I have alluded to several times, helps preventing skin diseases and they can be specifically medicated or 'non medicated' for dogs and both will be effective to a lesser or greater degree. Most 'non medicated' shampoos for dogs actually contain a number of 'medicated' benefits.

Prevention is the best form of attack on diseases, ailments and health issues.

Peggy you have always been a big help to me in triggering off many of my published stories that add to my monthly income. Bathing dogs was one of them but I have unfortunately already done one on preventing common diagnosed health issues with dogs and you are a little late in the piece.