World weaving records

Discussion in 'Obedience, Agility & Other Sports' started by Michael Romanos, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Pole weaving is part of an agility obstacle course and usually one set of a 12-pole weave is included in most of the events.

But there are world records for pure bred and mixed bred dogs in slicing around 60 weaves ie five 12-pole weaves. Tomorrow(Saturday, November 10) in Wellington, New Zealand, a number of dogs will be attempting world records. Almost all the records are held by Americans partly because the rest of the world has been slow to catch on.

The world records for Corgis are very impressive. The Pem world record holder is a dog owned by Marian Jones of New York with a time of 17 25 seconds The Cardi record is held by a dog owned by Shelley Permann of California with 17.60 seconds. Lets hear it for the Pems.

The overall world record is, naturally, held by a Border Collie at 12.30 seconds.

So a group of New Zealand dogs will try for some of the huge list of records that exist. Afterall there are 332 FCI recognised dog breeds and most are capable of competing in agility. The mixed breeds are divided into size categories - Maxi-plus, maxi, midi, mini and micro.

Back to Corgis, My 2 year old Pem is a fairly quick weaver and seldom misses a pole, but somehow I doubt that he would complete more than three sets of weave poles by the time 17.25 seconds had expired. I'd like him to try one day . Maybe in another year's time.

2. Five

Five Junior Member

This is very interesting. I didn't know Corgis could weave that fast. Thanks for sharing.

3. Jhemphill

Jhemphill Senior Member

Michael,

Do know of a site that you can go to investigate agility for Pems that is in the US particularly in North Carolina. Do you have your own course at home? Is there agility for fun not competion, I think Maximus would do good and enjoy it, right now he is a little overweight, but we are working on that with diet and exercise. Taylor looks so happy jumping through the tire. Maximus loves to run, and he weaves through the trees in our yard quite well when chasing squirrles.

4. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Hi jh

I know that at least some of the Pem clubs in the USA also organise non-championship agility events just for Corgis.

To get a list of the clubs go to the American Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club website - www.pembrokecorgi.org and then click onto "regional clubs" and then onto "performance" and then onto "agility clubs and schools" and then onto "agility primer" - which is an excellent rundown with photos of Pems in agility.

Corgis are outstanding at agility. There are three major organisations in the USA - there should be just the one, but that's another story - and in at least one of them, Corgis dominate the minis.

Your Maximus sounds ideal for agility but you can't just put him in a fun event and hope he might jump a hurdle. You and him have to go through the training process. He must compete in events off-lead and under command, so training works towards that end as well as introducing Maximus to each different type of obstacle.

Taylor is simply wonderful at it and he loves it. Many people have commented how happy he looks whilst out on a course. He started from absolutely zero. But he is no where near the physically strongest or fastest Corgi I've had. I just wish I knew about agility in the 1980's and not as late as mid 2004. Taylor basically learnt enough of the agility features in just five training sessions at a local training school in order to compete at official events. But that kind of pick-up is rare. You can do certain exercises at home with just pieced together things that resemble equipment, but I was lucky. I have a neighbour with five hurdles, a 12 pole weave and a tire. So I go over to her place when I want and Taylor and I practice. It takes probably a couple of years to get really proficient for both handler and dog.

Taylor is at a stage where he goes fast and well enough to be up with the best mini dogs in NZ - but unfortunately we are the only country that lumps all the dogs in one competition - so Taylor has to compete against all the big dogs with their long legs and skinny frames.

You can't have an overweight Corgi in agility. I've got Taylor perhaps four or five pounds under his ideal conformation show weight.

You must have an all breeds agility training club fairly close by. In NZ some of the training clubs cater for multi sports.

Agility is a fun event for handler and dog. It further cements the bond between you and your dog and it gives dogs a much needed outlet for adding interest to their lives. Corgis need a challenge and to get physically stimulated and agility fits the bill.

5. PemmieLover12

PemmieLover12 Junior Member

I have a home made agility course built out of 1/2" PVC pipies and connectors. I have 4 jumps with 2' long bars (corgis don't need wide jumps- I have mine at 8" and 12" jump heights). I can give you plans if you want.

I also have a set of 6 weave poles (I'll build 6 more that I can connect to the current set when I get a chance). I have blue painting tape 12" from where the T meets the pole (So Sadie can "see" the poles). Sadie does them in about 5 seconds.

I bought a tunnel at a kid's toy store for $10, use mats for pause tables (plus the top of my slide), and my 6-7 foot slide as half an A-Frame. I use 5 1/2" wide picket boards to create teeters, and they can also be used raised a couple inches from the ground to teach pauses at the contacts on dog walks (plus the other contact obstacles). I use 2' PVS lengths on the ground as a ladder (to teach footing- you could lay any ladder on the ground and teach footing at a walk).

So far I've only spent about $30 on my agility course. However, "Agility is not the obstacles themselves, but what happens between them."-Stuart Mah. You can use cones to practice get outs, and practice crossovers on the ground.

Cleanrun.com, Akc.org, Ukcdogs.com, Usdaa.com, and Nadac.com are all helpful links.

Good luck, Jhemphill.

6. glencorgi

glencorgi Senior Member

Jodi,

Check the phone book for the Greater Raleigh Dog Training Club, that would be a good start. This is another one I have heard positive things about. The Durham Kennel Club has some excellent instructors (and even some corgi owners active in agility and Seriously, you have a wide variety of facilities and training opportunities in the Triangle area and a number of corgi owners training in the area as well. I can check and give you some more referrals if you'd like.

Michael states:
    "I know that at least some of the Pem clubs in the USA also organise non-championship agility events just for Corgis."

True, but many of them also offer championship agility events as well. The Palmetto club is working slowly to get approval to be able to hold trials for titles. We've recently approved changes to our constitution and by-laws in order to appease AKC so we be granted approval to hold such events.

Hopefully we'll see Maximus running at one of our trials in the future. :)

Debbie